MooT Question Icon
Which best translates the word refract: bend or deflect?

Etymology, Etymology, and more Etymology
as well as grammar, usage, euphemism, slang, jargon, semantics, linguistics, neologism, idiom, cant, and argot.

A picture of a moot game

The critically-acclaimed board game MooT
consists of tough questions about the nuances of the English language.
To join our mailing list and get
free brain-twisting MooT questions sent to you irregularly,
enter your email address and then press submit.

E-Mail address:

Back to home page

Answer: deflect

To change the direction of something is to deflect it. The deflecting of a ray of light when it enters another medium is called refraction. The word derives from the Latin frangere, to break.

Copyright 1998-2009 Blair Arts Ltd. All rights reserved.